Backwards, Forwards, and Everywhere in Between

Monday, December 22, 2008

I feel sorry for you, reader. I have no shortage of topics to blog about today and I must needs catch up from yesterday as well.
Sunday night we visited an area church for the sake of supporting a young preacher from our home church who was ministering as a guest there. Actually, this was Josh's idea. I had no part in it, nor did I get involved when he asked Bro. Masters for permission to miss Sun. night at home to go hear his grandson preach. I repeatedly emphasized that I was not in favor of it, that I didn't like the idea, and that I just plain didn't want to visit this church. Josh would say I was nagging, but I never do that, so this couldn't possibly be the case here. (:
To put a name to what I was feeling would be hard. I just wasn't comfortable about the idea. I'm not sure if its because we just changed churches less than a month ago and I'm longing for stability, or if it was the actual church that made me nervous. I told Josh that I didn't feel like explaining that we were "just visiting" I don't know... it makes me feel squeamish to go to churches where I "just know" they want to recruit everything that walks through the doors to stay at their little church. Boy was I ever so right and ever so wrong....
Everyone there welcomed us and was so nice and said "come back anytime and visit". All 13 of them.
Josh walked through the doors and was handed drum sticks. Normally he would refuse since he never oversteps the bounds of pastoral authority over a platform, but this church is currently without a pastor as they rid themselves of the previous one. (Althought he was given an honorable discharge by resigning before they could remove him) Anyway, service was....short. And just as I expected. I cannot explain except to say that it was like being in a non-Spirit-filled church. A really backward one. I just get so frustrated. Right in the middle of service the man behind the pulpit (worship leader?) said to a soul on the back pew, " Sis. [name], do you have a special you can sing for us tonight?" To which the Sister replied "I'm kinda stopped up raht now. But I guess if you want me to" So she flipped through her book and sang a song that I've never even heard of "I'm so thrilled with Jesus" Ok, so then there was no altar call, revival was preached with no enthusiasm from the congregation, and we were dismissed with "my what a good little preacher"
Please don't misunderstand me. It may seem critical and harsh, but I am just hitting the highlights. I'm not saying these are not saints of God. I'm not saying that there is only my way of having church and none other. To each their own. I'm not even saying that you have to have sound systems and musicians and camp-meeting style preaching to have church. I've been on the mission field and seen such a lack of all of the above and yet I've seen miracles and such a manifestation of God's glory that you almost shake with it. I guess you had to be there Sunday night to see my point. Even Josh admitted after service that we didn't think it was God's will for a church like that to hang on. Less than five miles from another apostolic church. I think their influence would be greater by combining with another church in the area. I know God places different churches for different types of people and to reach certain harvest fields. But, how many years do you have church with less than 25 saints, no growth (numerically or spiritually), so many different pastors, etc.. before you realize that without a move of God it means nothing? These are good people and I think that they just need a new direction and vision. I thank the Lord for watching over Josh and I and for seeing us in our distress. He knows just when to move and when to move us. I know there will never be another church to fill the place in my heart that Starks FPC has created, but I am glad for the experiences I've had since I've been married. Even if only to appreciate and discern the flowing of the Holy Ghost. And to know how truly blessed I am. I've been a part of so much more that I can't seem to settle with less and be satisfied.

0 comments: